I am so excited to share the following images with you. You will see how far along we’ve come since the last progress report, when we just had studs and electrical. First off, we passed all our electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections. What does that mean? Well it means we can start to close up the walls because what goes behind the drywall is all A-OK.
Future Living Room:
What do you notice? We have drywall! Yippee! Since this renovation began, the house has been bare until now. What else do you notice? The Before shot features a lot of wood paneling, which has been banished.
Future Dining Room:
In the Before shot of the dining room, you see that it is enclosed not only in more wood paneling, but also more specifically with walls. We wanted to open the whole space up, so the big thing you will notice here is that there are no walls. In fact, in the After shot you are not only looking at what will be the new dining room, but you are also getting a view of what will be the new open concept kitchen.
Future Master Bedroom:
What do you notice first? Probably the pretty view. But once you get past that you notice that in the After picture there is not one, but two sets of windows. That’s because we blew out the wall between the old master and the room next to it, to make one large master. Yep. It’s big. Notice the nice insulation? None of the houses that we previously owned were insulated. Insulation, plus the new double glazed windows means our house will be cozy but also way more energy efficient.
Remember I told you the Lower Level of the house used to be licensed as a dance studio. Well, it came complete with changing rooms. What you see in the Before picture is one of the changing rooms, with a small window and an entrance from a side stairwell. We got rid of the stairwell and the door and replaced it with one larger window. This will be my new office. Hubby gets an identically sized office right next door in the other former changing room. Until now we’ve always shared an office, but because of how the house is built, there were some walls we just couldn’t move. So we’ve ended up with his and hers offices.
Back of the house:
You’ve seen the pictures of what the front of the house looks like. But seeing the house from the front doesn’t really give you a good idea of its size. Seeing it from the back you get a better perspective, as well as a good view of the scope of the remodel, including all the scaffolding. Notice all the shiny new windows? We kept a similar profile as the old windows, but brought them up to code for safety egress. The big change here is the addition of a French door. We kept their profile is quite simple to echo the windows and the style of the house. Also, the walls are being prepped for new stucco. The old stucco had to be replaced in some parts because of water damage mentioned previously, but our contractor advised us to refinish all the stucco as the old stucco showed signs that it isn’t as waterproof as it should be. They are going to use an acrylic stucco to make the surface more impermeable. Oh, and we also got rid of the brick planter boxes at the base of the house which were also the source of some water issues.
So there you have it. A lot of progress. 🙂